Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kundalini Yoga Poses and Kundalini Yoga

Kundalini yoga is an ancient form of yoga that has only been practiced in the west relatively recently. In 1969, Yogi Bhajan founded 3HO (the Healthy, Happy, Holy Organization) to introduce Kundalini to a broader population. Although Kundalini had not previously been taught to the public, Yogi Bhajan felt that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy its benefits. 
 According to the learned teachers of Kundalini yoga, you need to concentrate on the heart center so that you can enjoy the beauty and strength of being one, and experience pure joy. In the heart center lays significant purity which can be harnessed in order to illume the lower and other centers. It means having to concentrate your entire being on one center of energy and to also invoke the main deity of that center.If you want to experience the rich benefits of Kundalini yoga you need to get complete control over your thoughts and you must focus on a single point and place all your concentration on your spiritual practice. You won’t have the opportunity of taking short cuts and thus you need to develop a discipline of the spirit as well as properly master how to concentrate the self."The Oath of a Kundalini Teacher: "I am not a woman. I am not a man. I am not a person. I am not myself. I am a teacher." ~ Yogi Bhajan
I have a confession to make. I struggled with The Teacher's Oath when I started my Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training. When I first heard it, I rebelled. What do you mean I'm not a woman? If I'm not a person than what am I? And if I am not myself, then who is me? I didn't get it and it confused me immensely. Who was this guy to tell me that I'm not me? Can you say "resistance?" How about that for a great start?In this article, I'll explain about The Teacher's Oath and what it means to me now compared to my first impression. I'll also touch on the key ethical responsibilities a KY teacher has in terms of service to students, personal conduct, and roles. And finally I'll bring in my relationship to the teachings and to the source of the teachings.Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa, of Golden Bridge in Los Angeles, says that, "as Kundalini yoga teachers, [we] take this [Teacher's] Oath. It sets the precedent as to why we are there and what we are to deliver: these sacred teachings. Our purpose is to deliver the student to himself-not to the teacher. We are there to inspire the students."How do I feel about The Teacher's Oath now? It is about uplifting humanity! Yogi Bhajan gave the eacher's Oath as a reminder to keep our ego out of our teaching and to always respond with what is in the best interest of the student. He is trying to teach us to "shine the soul of the student," not to shine our own egos. It is about being a messenger of the teachings; being a vehicle and letting it flow. The Teachers Oath reminds us to be the teacher and to uplift the soul of each student.When one talks about Kundalini Yoga, it actually means the awakening of the undalini energy found at the base of the spinal cord. When a student of Yoga starts practicing undalini Yoga, he/she activates the Kundalini energy through the various pranayams. This is also considered to be one of the most popular forms of Yoga today. The name is derived from a Sanskrit word, which means ‘coiled up’. The energy is said to be in the form of a coiled snake, hence the term ‘coiled up’. The main aim of the Kundalini Yoga is to awaken the ‘snake’ within. This energy should then travel to the brain, which would enable the person to experience a sublime state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...